Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Female Singers


Natalie Walker - Alternative/Pop/Rock Singer
Originating from Indiana, lives in Pennsylvania; United States
Compares to: Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley, Allison Krauss, Fiona Apple, Kate Havnevik

I've had a recent writer's block, and it's been difficulty to get myself out of the laziness of not to write or update here. That was when I saw that for the first time we were featured on elbo.ws, and that absolutely made my evenining enough to give me inspiration to write and feature some amazing artists. Recently, I've come across a great number of female singers that have yet to gain much fame - which I hope will change as these are the artists that need all the support and attention they can; seeing as most of them are on independent record labels.

My first artist I'm featuring this evening is the lovely and most certainly talented yet outspoken Natalie Walker. Originally from Indiana, my home state coincidentally - which intrigued me, and now living in Pennsylvania; she is a contemporary alternative/pop/rock artist that compares herself with the likes [rightly said] of the great Fiona Apple, and Alison Krauss, as well as many outstanding female or female-vocalist led groups/singers.

As I couldn't even find her stuff on imeem, I'm just going to give you one of her tracks I recently got off of Itunes to sample and check out. Like all the others, it will only be avalible for a certain time only and then be rid of. If you like her, go out and check her out on her myspace:
www.myspace.com/nataliewalkermusic

I would highly recomend the song 'No One Else.'
Via Imeem:

No One Else - Natalie Walker


------------------------------------------------------------------
Kate Havnevik - Norway
Latest release: 2006's LP Melankton
Compared to: Imogen Heap, Ingrid Michaelson, Tina Dico, Frou Frou, Rachael Yamagata
Genres: Electronica/Techno, Jazz-Folk, Alternative, Pop-rock, Classical,


Next is another relatively more famous, at least in the United Kingdom and surrounding areas, is the gifted Norwegian singer. She's following in the footsteps of many women of the same nature and genre - that is being a mixture of jazzy pop and electronics - as Imogen Heap and many others have been doing over the past year or so. Some draw comparisons with her and Imogen Heap in particular, but I find that she has much more of a breathtaking and spell-binding voice that truly gets you intrigued - and not just through the background music. The music's quite theatrical at times, particularly in the Grey's Anatomy featured single 'New Day' in which a lengthy, but pleasant introduction starts out the piece.
Another suprising tidbit about the talented songstress is that she's independently funded, in other words, she'd self funded through her own record label.
All the more reason for me to egg you on in going out and seeking her music on I-tunes, or whatever local music retailer is in the area for you. For me, I get most of my music through Best Buy or through the internet. Mp3's are becoming the next big thing as many people are starting to feel as I do, and would rather purchase their music online and get it immediately rather than using a tank full of gas to go out and get the cd in its entirety.
Anyways, here's her myspace url: www.myspace.com/katehavnevik
Here's the breathtaking [and rather lengthy, if truth be known,] but fantastic nonetheless single 'New Day,' by her. Via imeem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like the above artists, try out similar ones:

No comments: